Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Ethan's Trauma...or should I say "Drama"

About two weeks ago, we had a pretty intense wind storm. I asked Jeff if the barbeque cover was tied down so that it wouldn't blow away. Little did I know that this very comment would torment Ethan for weeks. Ever since, he won't let go of the fact that the barbeque cover may blow away. I can't even open up the blinds to my backyard because it's too distracting for him. I don't know how many times or ways Jeff and I could explain that the barbeque cover will not blow away. When he goes out on the deck to play with his toys, he's fine until he feels even the slightest breeze. He stops whatever he's doing and sprints for the barbeque cover to hold it down so that it won't blow away. Sometimes, he'll stand there holding on to it for up to 20 minutes. It's a pretty weird fixation but evidentally very traumatizing for him. Here's a video clip of one of the many conversations I've had with him about it. When I started filming, I had already been discussing the issue with him for several minutes so you will already hear frustration in my voice.... I just adore this little boy and all of his cute quirks!

13 comments:

Karine said...

Oh Janell, this is too hilarious. I am so glad that you have this documented. I think you should show this clip at his mission farewell!
Love it and love ya!

shanda said...

O my gosh I just wnat to pack my bags and go play at your house. I am so missing that little boy and girl. He is so persisiant

About Me said...

We once told my nephew to hold our hands or he would blow away (because he was so skinny) after that we was terrified to go outside in the wind without holding someone's hand for awhile. Eventually he grew out of it and now it is a funny story. Good luck with Ethan!

Ally said...

I seriously love this story. I can imagine being very much worried about the same thing when I was little. I love Ethan!

Lara said...

Don't let him watch The Wizard of Oz, whatever you do!!

mjewett said...

We are laughing so hard we can't stop. Ethan, you are so precious, and determined. We'll never forget the night he didn't want to stay in his bedroom and tried everything he could think of, finally screaming out "JAAAAnell, I'm Done with this!!!!!!!"
We get to see you tomorrow night. Can't wait. OXOXOX

Kendyl said...

ohhhh, the joys of motherhood! Katelyn's thing right now is having EVERY door shut! It drives me INSANE!!! I swear she has OCD or something.

Foster Family said...

I'm not sure what to comment because I am laughing so hard. Actually I was laughing while reading, but now that I have seen the video I think I feel sorry for him. (and you too.) You are patient and kind and an awesome Mom, I love you and I love for family oodles and oodles! lisa

Hollie said...

that is so cute & funny. love it!

Katrina said...

As frustrating as this probably is for you...I couldn't stop laughing! Poor little guy-he is really worried about that cover. You are a great mom and it's fun to watch you through the video camera!!

Steve and Rebecca said...

That is so funny!! Ryan gets fixated on weird things too.

Unknown said...

Janell....that is hilarious!!! I was laughing so hard...Aaron and I can totally understand, the girls get so stuck on something, makes you watch what you say huh!!!

Heidi said...

Janell, I am sitting here wondering why I find this sooo hilarious! That I have not laughed this hard in a while and maybe it is because I have been through these same conversations but not looked at it from an outsider to see just how funny it is. Last night I adjusted Spencer's fan..direction, speed, etc. like 7 times and then the frustration. Ha ha ha. I guess we are all in the same boat. Love ya! Heidi