Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Why Pediatric Dentistry??

Before Jeff went to dental school I knew there were different types of dentists but didn't realize that you had to go to more school to be that type of dentist. I thought dental school was a lot like law school...you choose what type of law you want to practice in school and start practicing right after graduation. Midway through Jeff's first year of dental school, he decided that he wanted to specialize. It was then that I learned that specializing in dentistry required another 2-4 year commitment. My 1st thought??...Heck no!! How can I do another 2-4 years when I've already put Jeff through 4 years of undergraduate school at BYU and 3 years at Temple Dental school? Especially since I had my degree a year before we were married and yet I've been putting him through school for the 7 years we've been married. Stick a fork in me, I'M DONE!

So, here we are, approaching graduation from dental school in less than a year. My frustration quickly changed to admiration as I've watched Jeff work so hard and learn so much over the last 3 years. He has made endless sacrifices to keep his grades up so that he could keep windows and doors open for the future. We've had to turn down many weekend trips or vacations and other outings so that he could study. During finals weeks, Jeff would average 3-4 hours of sleep a night and never complain. I know I could never do it.

I'm not one to get all sappy and gushy about my husband publicly (he'll probably get mad at me for posting this), but I truly am so proud of him. I am so grateful that he works so hard for our family and never complains about it. His hard work has already paid off. He found out last week that he was the recipient of a very signifcant scholarship. In my mind, no one deserved it more.


So, what is all this hard work for? So that he can spend the rest of his life trying to get a 3 year old to open their mouth and teach them about good oral hygiene. Crazy, I know. But, he's the perfect man for the job. To answer the question, Why Pediatric Dentistry??........


Because he voluntarily is willing to do this....for hours....and has the time of his life. He adores little kids and connects with them on a level that I just can't achieve.

He'll be a great pediatric dentist.....and it will all be worth it in the end.



Oh, and here's a cute picture of Ethan catching his 1st fish. Way to go bud!

10 comments:

Lara said...

Way to go, Jeff! Go ahead and gush all you want, Janell. Our husbands are worth it.

Erin said...

Gush, gush, gush!! I gushed about him today to a client, bragging about his scholarship. We are so amazed with Jeff and all his hard work. You are both truly inspiring and we are so proud of you and your family and all of the accomplishments you have made. Tell Jeff we are so proud of him and love him so much. He is a truly amazing person and we are so grateful to have him for a brother and friend.

Karine said...

It is rare to see such dedication and sacrifice in our "gimmie for nothing" generation. It truly is a breath of fresh air!
Jeff is not the only one who has sacrificed and struggled through this process. Janell, you have stood by Jeff through all of it. You have sacrificed having Jeff gone (a lot) and taking care of the children (with little or no breaks.) You both have given everything, in hopes of a secure and bright future.
Jeff and you are a complete inspiration to me. I will rejoice with you when this phase of your life comes to an end, and you can reap what you have sewn. Until then, I stand behind you and pray for you and your family.
You guys are the best!
Love ya,
Neenie bops

shanda said...

So cute smelly I love that video.. And I know how anazing your hubby is. I love him as if he as my real brother. I love and miss all of you so much

Christina said...

I was so grateful for good pediatric dentists when it was time for Ashley's dental health! Way to go, Jeff!

Trish the Dish said...

I love it. Glad to hear you are so proud of him - it really is an accomplishment to get through that kind of training with a young family! Very impressive! Good luck with your future - I hope it brings you back to our side of the country!

Katie Morgan said...

WOW!!! That's amazing! I'm glad he's doing well. I miss you so much! I've been meaning to call but Parker and I've been sick and haven't felt up to doing ANYTHING! So now here I am feeling better and checking out your blog!
I love you and miss you tons!! I'll try to call this week!
Katie

Lorena said...

Congratulations on that scholarship!

Steve and Rebecca said...

That is so exciting! Congrats Jeff!! But, can you move a little more west?? We miss you guys!

Just the Seven of Us said...

Jeff - good job!!! I can't believe we livei n the same state, yet so far away! Your kids are beautiful. Congrats on your sweet new addition. We love you!