Saturday, March 7, 2009

Getting the HECK outta dodge!

We put our house on the market a week ago today and can I just say......aaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! Trying to keep my house "show ready" around the clock with 3 little ones is insane. Actually, it's impossible. So far, we've had 2 showings and have 2 scheduled for tomorrow and even with 24 hours notice it's been hard. It literally feels like a full time job. I know some people may be thinking, "what's so difficult about it?" Let me explain..... You know how when you have company planning on staying at your house and you spend at least a day or 2 getting it all clean and ready for your guests (thorough cleaning, wash sheets, clean toilets, etc). Having my house on the market has been like that EVERY DAY but worse because I do not have the luxury of shoving things into drawers or closets at the last minute. Why?? Because people who look at your house open your drawers and closets. Do things have to be perfect? Of course not, but in a market like this, every showing counts. I feel like I'm spending my entire existence cleaning, organizing, dusting, vacuuming, keeping up on laundry, etc. My poor children have spent the last week raising themselves. All I can say it's only been a week and I'm totally exhausted.

Okay, now for the temporary solution suggested by none other than my dear mother....."get the heck outta dodge and go to Utah for a few weeks". Result: a few less weeks of trying to keep up on my house. Unfortunately, Jeff has to stay behind to study for his board exams so it will be good for him to have peace and quiet around the house as well. (We'll sure miss him though!) So, I will be spending a week in Albuquerque with one sis and a week in Utah with my parents and 2 other sistas. Can't wait! In the mean time....our house better sell before I get back!! Please say a prayer for us...

On a different note, less than a week ago, we had a pretty significant amount of snow fall (about 8 inches). The kids went sledding. It was freezing outside but they insisted. From the pics, you can see they really enjoyed themselves (haha).


The wind was blowing like crazy and I didn't have goggles for Hayley, so she wore my huge sunglasses. I thought her gloves that were 6 sizes too big for her would go well with the over sized sunglasses. She looks like she would fit in as a character on the "Little People."


Ethan about ready to brave the hill....he actually had a total blast!


Brooklyn hung out in van while the other kids went sledding but this is a very recent picture of her. She's 7 months old already. Some kids suck on a pacifier or their thumbs, but Brooklyn sucks on her middle and ring finger upside down while holding her pointer with her other hand. Very unique but so adorable!

It's been 4 days since our crazy winter storm and the weather was 74 degrees. We were all in our T shirts. What a difference a couple of days can make!

10 comments:

Steve and Rebecca said...

Why are you selling your house?? Aren't you staying in Philly? I hear you on trying to keep in clean for showings though... tough with kids!! Good luck!

Shelley said...

I sure hope your house sells while you are gone! I remember going through that--it's really hard keeping a house clean for over a minute when you have kids! I love the saying "Cleaning a house while children are growing is like shoveling snow while it's still snowing!"

Jamie said...

i feel your pain! we has our house listed for a 5 weeks and it nearly killed me. we pulled it off, because no upgrade is worth me leaving what i have now. however, i will list my house every 3 years as to declutter, organize, throw out and DEEP DEEP clean! lol
good luck guys!

Karine said...

Dearest Smokey Eyes,

I thought my mom was the only person in the free world that still says "get the heck out of dodge!" Too funny!
I truly hope you have such a wonderful trip, you deserve it. I will be praying like crazy that you travel safetly and sanely, and that you sell the house STAT!
Also, the picture of Hayley in the snow suit is precious. I love how you reffered to her as the "little people." It brought back all the memories of when Ethan and Maddie used to watch that movie, and how the theme song was sung by the same guy that sings "I don't knkow much, but I know how to love you...." (I don't know how he can redeem himself from that.)
Ahh, memories!
Tell your kids and family all hi for me!
Love ya,
Neenes

Katie Morgan said...

When are you planning on going to Utah??

Hollie said...

You better be calling me when you get to Utah! I'm so serious! If you don't have my number, email me and I'll send it to you! Good luck with selling your home!

Lara said...

I'll prayer for the house to sell. Prayer works!

Rosanne said...

Hey I hope you call while you are in Utah. We would love to see you!!!! Also, Good luck with the house selling stuff, I feel for you. I can't imagine having my house clean all the time with three little ones, impossible!

shanda said...

Smelly that is a cute post. I love the pics

Britt said...

We miss you! Come back. Jeff did a great job on his talk today. Very entertaining. We loved the dental analogy. Yes, he did a dental analogy...again.